The world's best selling accent and pronunciation book. This book starts at the most basic level -- the syllable -- and builds up to the complex intonation that is used in everyday English. This book will guide you to fluency in spoken American English. All aspects of the American accent are covered in detail -- intonation, liaisons and pronunciation.
The new and expanded 3rd edition (September 2012) has four all-new chapters that cover the psychology of accent acquisition, American voice quality, a pronunciation overview, and an ESL instructor's guide. The new CDs feature professional male and female voices that have been carefully selected to represent that perfect American accent. With 30 years of extensive research, the unique AAT methodology has been refined to teach the American sound quickly and easily, paying special attention to:
• Voice quality, with emphasis on accurate presentation of the authentic American sound
• Pronunciation, with attention to all vowels, consonants, blends, and diphthongs
• Intonation, which focuses on syllable stress rules and word stress in a sentence
• Linking, or liaisons between phonetically transcribed sounds so students can "see" the sound
Book, 5 audio CDs, only $26.37
Regularly $16.95 $11.53
Regularly $15.95 $10.87
Regularly $27.95 $19.29
Regularly $24.95 $16.47
Regularly $14.95 $9.72
Also: New & Improved Pretty Good Jokes $9.72
- Pre Testing
- Basic Intonation and Voice Quality
- Comprehensive Intonation
- Word Connections
- Basic Grammar
- Advanced Grammar
- Nationality Guide (language tips)
- Post-Testing American Accent Training Online
Online training lets you study 24/7, an you can pick up the accent quickly and easily. This is particularly useful if you are studying for the TSE or TOEFL tests, or have a particular presentation with an upcoming deadline.
All you need is standard equipment – a PC with Explorer 6 and headset w/mic for listening and recording. Links for Java and Flash are included in the set up.